| An outstanding example of a Greek Revival public building. The courthouse has been in continuous service for the transaction of county business since 1857, and houses the oldest county records in north Mississippi, dating from 1821. This building was listed on the National Register on 22 December 1978. It was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 30 August 1984. In August 2005 it was announced that the Monroe County Courthouse had been awarded a “Save America’s Treasures” grant of $150,000 for Federal Fiscal Year 2007. This building is included in "Old Homes of Mississippi, Volume II: Columbus and the North" (1977) (p. 57), "Mississippi Courthouses, Then and Now" (1987), and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p.175, PR3). |