Location Information
(for the Civil War Earthworks, Tallahatchie Crossing)
Name:Civil War Earthworks, Tallahatchie Crossing
Address:22 MR 508, Highway 17
near Waterford community
City/County:Holly Springs vic., Marshall County
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:14 Aug 1973
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
Fortifications erected in December 1862, by Major Gen. James B. McPherson for the purpose of controlling the vital crossing of the Tallahatchie River on the old Holly Springs-Oxford Road. McPherson evacuated the positions following Van Dorn's destructive cavalry attack on the Federal forces at Holly Springs. Later action at the site occurred in the fall of 1863 and on August 7, 1864.

The earthworks are located on part of the property of the Sardis Reservoir, which is managed by the US Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg District.

The site, consisting of 5 acres of land, was listed on the National Register on 14 August 1973, from a nomination prepared by MDAH historian William C. Wright.