Location Information
(for the "Hope Farm")
Name:"Hope Farm" ["Hope Villa"]
Address:147 Homochitto Street
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1790
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:22 Aug 1975
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
A raised cottage with a low-pitched roof, Hope Farm is thought to have been constructed in the late 18th century, making it one of the oldest buildings remaining in the state. It is believed that the house was constructed by Don Carlos de Grand Pre, the Spanish Commandant of the Natchez District. Through nearly two centuries of remodellings by subsequent owners, Hope Farm has retained its general character as a structure of the Spanish Provincial period in Mississippi. In the 20th century, the house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. J. Balfour Miller. Mrs. Miller was the well-known founder of the annual Natchez Pilgrimage. [HABS: MS-46 (1936): photos and measured drawings]