Location Information
(for the Bolivar County Courthouse)
Name:Bolivar County Courthouse
Address:200 Court Street, South
City/County:Cleveland, Bolivar County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1924
Architectural Styles(s):Italian Renaissance
No. of Stories:3
Registration Information
NR District Name:Downtown Cleveland (1999)
    NR Status:Contributing
    Element No.:72
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:08-07-1985
Recorded:10-15-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. M167, p. 49
Easement Information
Date Signed:06-01-2015
Expires:06-01-2030
Easement Type:Preservation/Maintenance
Book/Vol. No.:V. 205 Pg. 1305-1306
Context/Comments
The first courthouse in Cleveland was constructed in 1901 on a square donated by W.L. Pearman. The jail, housed in a separate building, was built by the Pauley Jail Co. from St. Louis at a cost of $30,000. In 1923, the original courthouse was demolished and in 1924 the present building took its place at a cost of $150,000. Designed by N.W. Overstreet, prominent Jackson architect, the courthouse was added onto in 1938--this addition was used as a jail.

This building is included in "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (pp.114-115, DR27).