Location Information
(for the Vicksburg Sanitarium Street's Sanitarium)
Name:Vicksburg Sanitarium (Street's Sanitarium) [Sydney Building]
Address:900 Crawford Street
City/County:Vicksburg, Warren County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1830
No. of Stories:4
Destroyed:burned July 1995
Registration Information
NR District Name:Uptown Vicksburg
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:31
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Historic Vicksburg District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
This building was originally a house, built before the Civil War and used during the Siege of Vicksburg as headquarters for Confederate Major General Carter L. Stephenson. In 1900 Dr. Donald P. Street established the Vicksburg Sanitarium and opened it in this building in 1901. He operated the hospital with his two brothers. The building was enlarged in 1904 and 1910; a nurses' home was added in 1922, an another enlargement was done in 1936. In 1943 the facility was transferred to the Sisters of Mercy, who operated it as Mercy Hospital until they moved to a new hospital facility in 1957 (Mercy Regional Medical Center, later Parkview Regional Medical Center), at which time the old building became Sydney House, a nursing home and apartments for the elderly. Sydney House closed in 1993. The general form and some exterior details of the original house were still visible on the facade of the building. The building burned in 1995 and was subsequently demolished.
Brief Description
A four-story, stuccoed, flat-roofed building, facing north, which was built incorporating an 1830s residence. A modillioned metal cornice is between the thud and fourth floors, and a plain cornice is at the roof. There are five bays in the main part of the building: four, two-over-two double-hung sash with stone lintels and sills and a non-historic entry. There is a stuccoed one-story portico supported by square stuccoed columns with a heavy balustrade on its roof. The center bay on the second floor is slightly recessed and is a non-historic door with original sidelights and transom. The recess is flanked by Doric pilasters supporting a denticulated entablature. There are several additions to the building.