St. Mary's Chapel at Laurel Hill Plantation, built about 1837, is one of the finest and earliest examples of antebellum Gothic Revival religious architecture in Mississippi. It is one of a notable group of surviving plantation buildings that make up the Laurel Hill Plantation complex, which was listed on the National Register on 26 October 1982. A conservation easement on the complex was donated to the Department of Archives and History in 1998.
The chapel is included in the "Inventory of the Church Archives of Mississippi – Protestant Episcopal Church – Diocese of Mississippi" (1940) (#13, p. 52) and "Architecture of the Old South: Mississippi – Alabama" (1989). |
|