| Callaway Hall, formerly known as Main or Old Main Dormitory, was constructed in 1860, prior to the creation of the college. It is the oldest building on the campus, having originally served as a dormitory and classroom building for Columbus Female Institute, a women's school that operated on the site of the present day campus from 1847-1877. It is the only remaining building associated with Columbus Female Institute. During the Civil War Callaway Hall was used as a hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers wounded during the Battle of Shiloh. In 1884 this four-story building was turned over to the newly established Industrial Institute and College by the city of Columbus. Upon acquiring the building, II&C had the building remodeled by B.H. Bartlett, an architect from Des Moines, IA. He also designed the clocktower. The bell in the clocktower was likely acquired by the college secondhand, as it was cast sometime earlier, in 1857, by Jones & Hitchcock Co., Founders. The bell was electrified in the early 1920's, and the clock was retrofitted with an electric motor in the early 1940's. When acquired by the college, Callaway Hall was used as a dormitory & dining hall, though it also accommodated a kitchen, infirmary, boiler room & the laundry. The building was used continually for many years until it was temporarily closed in the early 1930's due to disrepair. In 1938 it was renovated with the assistance of a Public Works Administration loan, and renamed in honor of Mary J . S. Callaway, Mistress of Mathematics and twice acting President of the College . Further improvements were made in 1960, and the interior was completely renovated in 1968-69. In 1977 the clock was restored by the Clock Service Company of Dunnelon, Florida. On Oct. 10, 1992, the clock tower was completely destroyed by a tornado, but it was reconstructed in 1992-1993 by the Clock Service Company. The building has a new roof, installed in 2015. |