Location Information
(for the Dr. Austin's Sanatorium)
Name:Dr. Austin's Sanatorium
Address:416 (418) Martin Avenue
City/County:Ocean Springs, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1855
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:1.5
Registration Information
NR District Name:Old Ocean Springs (1987)
    NR Status:Contributing
    Element No.:68
NR District Name:Old Ocean Springs (Boundary Increase) (2014)
    NR Status:Contributing
    Element No.:481
Context/Comments
Formerly listed as element #68.
Brief Description
1.5-story, frame, five-bay-wide (w-w-d-w-w) side-gable vernacular Center Hall residence with an inset full-width
porch supported by square Doric columns (some missing). The door (Bay 3) was not present at the time of survey;
however, the opening is surrounded by 3-light transom, 4-light over 1-panel sidelights, and Greek Key architrave.
Windows are 10-light casements and 6/? wood d-h-s, lower sashes were not present at the time of survey. The house
has a brick pier foundation, clapboard siding, and an asphalt shingle roof punctuated by two hip dormers. A gable wing has been added to the rear left (northwest), and a flat-roof carport fills the re-entrant angle.
Historic Information
This residence was constructed under the ownership of Dr. Willaim Glover Austin, owner of the famous Ocean Springs Hotel for which the city is now named. Dr. Austin was a New Orleans resident renowned for his work with yellow fever victims. This house was the last property the Austin family owned in Ocean Springs. This house is one of the few pre-Civil War residences in Ocean Springs. It is an example of a vernacular Center Hall house, a once common building form along the Mississippi Gulf Coast during the 19thand early 20th centuries.