Artisan Search Results
Artisans:1Properties:7

 

Jackson Stone Company (1930s)
Cast stone manufacturer, Jackson, MS
JOSEPH BARRAS, a sculptor, was a partner in this firm and was responsible for the designs of most of the bas-relief sculptures for the company. Located at 134 Millsaps Avenue. A 1941 advertisement in a publication devoted to the work of Jackson architect R.W. NAEF lists their specialties as "cast stone, plaster casts, light weight concrete blocks" and notes, "We have completed contracts in several of the buildings in this catalog." A Jackson Daily News article, Sept. 29, 1939, notes "This concern maintains both plant and offices here in the Capital City. Employing a large force of expert workmen, together with a complete installation of machinery, the products turned out by them are accepted by both contractors and architects as being the best available. They also specialize in hollow blocks, there being many buildings here that are constructed of same, and they do certain forms of plaster art work that is beautiful and ornamental by design."
DateInventory#Name of PropertyRoleDescription of WorkLocation
D1926-35121-BRN-4500Cast stone/bas reliefsoriginal campusBrandon vic., Rankin Co.
D1929049-JAC-0020-NRDCast stone/bas reliefsOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
D1936049-JAC-6098.1-NRD-MLCast stone/bas reliefsOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
D1938105-STK-4016-MLCast stone/bas reliefsOriginal buildingStarkville, Oktibbeha Co.
D1955049-JAC-7166-XConcrete block manufacturerOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
D1961049-JAC-4750Concrete block manufacturerOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
D1972049-JAC-4750Concrete block manufacturerPhase II additionsJackson, Hinds Co.