Location Information
(for the Creole cottage)
Name:Creole cottage [First Biloxi Public Library (currently Dusti Bonge Art Foundation)]
Address:132 Rue Magnolia
City/County:Biloxi, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1835
Registration Information
NR District Name:Biloxi Downtown Boundary Increase
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:27
MPS:Historic Resources of Biloxi
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:07-19-1988
Recorded:08-01-1988
Book/Vol. No.:V. 198, p. 206
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Downtown Biloxi Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Local Landmark Listing Date:07 Sep 2010
click here to view ordinance
Context/Comments
This creole cottage, which once served as Biloxi's first public library, was originally located at 127 Lameuse Street. The house was located on the west side of Lameuse Street roughly equidistant between Beach Boulevard and Water Street (see 047-BLX-1027.1-MVD). In 1952, the house was moved to its second location location on Water Street, directly behind the old, c.1925 Biloxi Public Library (See 047-BLX-1027.2-MVD). It remained in this location until 1977, when it was moved next to the c.1976 Biloxi Library and Cultural Center at 215 Lameuse Street (see 047-BLX-1027.3-MVD-ML). The house was moved again to its present location at 132 Rue Magnolia in 2005 following Hurricane Katrina (see 047-BLX-1027.4-NRD-ML-MVD).
Brief Description
One-story, frame, two-bay-wide (wdd-ddw) vernacular side-gable Creole Cottage with an inset full-width porch supported by chamfered posts spanned by a picketed balustrade. Entries are 3-light over 1-panel French doors with working shutters. Windows are 6/6 wood double-hung-sash with plain lintels and working shutters. Features include enclosed rear cabinet and flush boards on the porch. The building has a brick pier foundation, clapboard siding, and a wood shingle roof.
Historic Information
Built in 1832 by John Delauney, was originally one of ten similar houses rented to summer tourists from New Orleans (located at 127 Lameuse Street).

Remodeled in 1870.

In 1905, the house was purchased at auction by Harry T. Howard, who gave the house to the King's Daughters of Biloxi for use as a library. Between 1905 and 1924, served as first free, permanent public library in Mississippi. It was also a school. In 1952, the house was moved behind the c.1925 public library.

In 1976, the house was moved to 215 Lameuse Street and restored to its 1905 condition as part of Biloxi's Bicentennial celebration by MLTW/Turnbull Associates of San Francisco and TAB/The Architects Group of Mobile.

Sustained damage during Hurricane Katrina, August 29, 2005.

In early 2009, the creole cottage was relocated to 132 Rue Magnolia.