Location Information
(for the old Biloxi Public Library)
Name:(old) Biloxi Public Library [Gulf Coast Center for the Arts]
Address:124 Lameuse Street
City/County:Biloxi, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1925
Architectural Styles(s):Spanish, Mission
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:08 May 1984
NR District Name:Biloxi Downtown Boundary Increase
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:15
MPS:Historic Resources of Biloxi
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:03-28-1985
Recorded:05-16-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 158, p. 23
Easement Information
Date Signed:08-31-2007
Expires:08-31-2032
Easement Type:Preservation/Maintenance
Book/Vol. No.:Book 2009 Page 400 D
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Downtown Biloxi Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Local Landmark Listing Date:07 Sep 2010
click here to view ordinance
Context/Comments
The (Old) Biloxi Public Library was built in 1924 at a cost of $19,508. It was designed by architect Carl E. Matthes and built by Manuel & Wetzel. Opened to public October 1924. Served as Biloxi Library until 1977. The City sold the building to a private party in 1985, before repurchasing the old library in 2011 for use as City offices.
As of December 2013 Original construction Documents are located in the Building Plan Collection of the Harrison County Local History and Genealogy Department in the Biloxi Public Library. Included in "buildings of Biloxi" (1976 and 2000), and mentioned in "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p. 348).
Brief Description
One-story, three-bay-wide (w-d-w) Mission building on a raised basement reached by a graceful paired staircase with closed balustrade and coping leading to the main entrance. Bay 2 is a 6-panel replacement door with enclosed sidelights crowned by 10-light segmental arch transom. Windows are 8/8 wood d-h-s with 4-light transoms accentuated by stucco architrave leading to volutes; basement level windows were boarded at the time of survey. The building has a concrete slab foundation, stucco cladding, and a terracotta tile roof. Decorative features include a shaped parpet with foiled window, entrance accentuated by a stylized portico which includes spiral columns supporting a full entablature with denticulated cornice, enlarged finials, a sheild, and reliefs depicting books.