Location Information
(for the Vieux Marche)
Name:Vieux Marche [Charles Redding Building]
Address:781 Howard Avenue
City/County:Biloxi, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1895
No. of Stories:2
Remodeling Date:c.1975
Destroyed:demolished c.2015
Registration Information
NR District Name:Biloxi Downtown
NR Status:Non-Contributing
Element No.:49
MPS:Historic Resources of Biloxi
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Downtown Biloxi Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Local Landmark Listing Date:07 Sep 2010
click here to view ordinance
Originally listed as element #7, 'contributing', in Biloxi Downtown National Register Historic District. On Jan. 18, 2011 this structure and much of the adjacent block was burned, the only remains being the first floor exterior walls. As a result of the destruction, the building's status was changed to 'non-contributing' in 2015.
Brief Description
(From 1997) Two-story, three-bay brick commercial building. The main facade faces north and is composed of glass blocks over the openings on the lower level, with three segmental arched windows with molded tin crowns symettrically arranged on the upper level. The second-story bays are divided by brick pilasters and embellished with corbelling below the cornice. A cornice of moulded tin divides the first and second stories on the east facade, supported by brackets and low-relief decoration. A matching cornice on the north facade was removed in the 1970's. A larger cornice of molded tin at the top of the north facade was also removed in the 1970's. The east facade, composed of four bays, contains four arched windows also topped with molded tin crowns on the upper level. The lower level of the east facade contains two taller rectangular openings, with the tin cornices of the upper level repeated. On January 18,2011, this property and most of the adjoining block burned. What remains is the first story exterior brick walls.
Historic Information
Burned in a fire on Jan. 18, 2011. As of April 2013, only the first-floor facade exterior walls remained. Completely demolished by 2016.