Location Information
(for the "Old Brick House" [Biloxi Garden Center])
Name:"Old Brick House" [Biloxi Garden Center]
Address:622 Bayview Avenue
410 Bayview Avenue, East
City/County:Biloxi, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1850
No. of Stories:1.5
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:03 Oct 1973
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:01-08-1987
Recorded:02-04-1987
Book/Vol. No.:V. 180, p. 255
Local Designation Information
Local Landmark Listing Date:07 Sep 2010
click here to view ordinance
Context/Comments
A 1½-story brick Greek Revival galleried cottage, the plan of which is a cross between the conventional center-hall plan and the three-room Creole plan with rear loggia and cabinets. The house was built on land patented in the 1790s during the Spanish regime by French settler Jean Baptiste Carquote, and it may have been built by the Carquotte family, who sold the land to William Rodgers in 1843. It was owned 1850-72 by John L. Henley, Civil War mayor of Biloxi. The front of the house faces northward, toward Back Bay, rather than toward the street, which was constructed long after the house was built. Restoration as a house museum was begun in 1952 by the Biloxi Garden Center, which formally acquired title in 1966. The house is now owned by the City of Biloxi. Included in The Buildings of Biloxi (pp. 115-116), and in Historic Architecture in Mississippi (p. 90). It was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina on 29 August 2005.
Brief Description
See National Register nomination for detailed description.