Location Information
(for the Elmwood Manor)
Name:Elmwood Manor
Address:902 Beach Boulevard, North
City/County:Bay St. Louis, Hancock County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1828
No. of Stories:2.5
Destroyed:Aug. 29, 2005 (Hurricane Katrina)
Registration Information
MPS:Historic Resources of Bay St. Louis
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
One of the earliest, extant buildings in Bay St. Louis, Elmwood Manor was a significant example of the French Colonial style of architecture in the community. No other buildings remaining from the early 19th century are as architecturally intact as this house.
Brief Description
Elmwood Manor is a 5x4 bay, two-and-one-half story, brick building with a hip roof and front and rear, two tier, undercut galleries. The first story galleries have brick pillars while the second story galleries have wooden columns resting on slender, wooden pedestals. A simple
wooden balustrade adorns the second story, front gallery. The three central bays of the front facade contain doors with multi-light transoms on both the first and second stories. The predominant window form is 12/12 double hung sash. The hip roof is pierced by gabled dormers with recessed, round-arched windows and engaged colonettes.
Historic Information
This two-story, double-galleried house was supposedly begun before 1812 and completed in 1828, though claims have been made for an earlier date. It was to have been included in a proposed National Register Historic District in 1980, but the district was not listed. It was subsequently proposed for nomination to the National Register separately in 1986, but there was an owner objection, so it was processed for a Determination of Eligibility. Louis Alexis Lassassier acquired this property through a Spanish land grant. The land passed into the possession of his widow, Melite Macarty Lassassier, in 1823 and she sold it to Jesse Cowand in 1826-1829. Cowand died in 1852 and his widow, Elizabeth, resided at Elmwood Manor until the Civil War. As far as can be determined, there is no record as to when or why the name Elmwood Manor was attached to this building.