Location Information
(for the Knights of Columbus Hall)
Name:Knights of Columbus Hall
Address:315 Main Street
City/County:Bay St. Louis, Hancock County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1917-1924
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR District Name:Old Bay St. Louis
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:473
MPS:Historic Resources of Bay St. Louis
Brief Description
Two-story, frame, three-bay-wide (w-d-w) Knights of Columbus Hall with a round-arched, inset, center entrance flanked by triple double-hung windows. Bays are divided by full-height pilasters. Second-story windows on the main fa´┐Żade are triple, 1/1 double-hung windows. The building was originally a one-story garage and repair shop, but between 1917-1924, the clapboarded second-story and stucco-clad, two-story, front section were added. A small rear addition with a porch was added between 1924-1930. Side elevations have 9/1 wood double-hung windows and vinyl windows.
Historic Information
This building was used as a Knights of Columbus Hall. The first initiation of men into the Bay St. Louis branch of the organization occurred on December 13, 1908 (reported by the Sea Coast Echo newspaper on December 19, 1908). The creation of this organization demonstrates the growing interest in fraternal organizations as the population of Bay St. Louis increased in the early twentieth century.