Location Information
(for the East Sixth Street USO Building)
Name:East Sixth Street USO Building
Address:305 Sixth Street, East
City/County:Hattiesburg, Forrest County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1942
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:06 Apr 2004
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:1088 pg 0204
The East Sixth Street USO Building is a T-shaped wood frame building located approximately two blocks off Mobile Street, near Hattiesburg’s historic African-American commercial district. The USO opened in 1942 and served the African-American troops stationed at Camp Shelby. Serving in racially segregated units, African-American troops also found civilian institutions separated by race. Although the Mobile Street commercial district provided African-American theaters, restaurants and dance halls, the USO, operated by the Young Men’s Christian Association, offered additional recreational services to thousands of African-American troops who passed through Camp Shelby.

This building was listed on the National Register on 6 April 2004. It was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 16 April 2010.

It is included in "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p. 321, PW36).

Brief Description
One-story, frame, three-bay-wide, gable front, vernacular USO meeting hall. The main façade has a flat roof that wraps around the gable roof core of the building. Bay 2 is a slightly projecting vestibule with a central projecting pavilion sheltered by a shed roof awning. Entry doors are a pair of 9-light/1-panel wood doors. Windows are 6/9 and 6/6 wood d-h-s in ribbons. Distinctive features include central chimney and wide, smooth cornice and belt course along the tops of the windows. The hall has a concrete block foundation, novelty cladding, and an asphalt shingle roof.
East 6th St USO: Mississippi Landmark Significance Report Feb. 2010 Bill Gatlin, MDAH