Location Information
(for the Shaifer House)
Name:Shaifer House
Address:Port Gibson Battlefield
City/County:Port Gibson vic., Claiborne County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1840
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
Registration Information
NHL Listing Date:05 Apr 2005
NR Listing Date:03 Nov 1972
NR District Name:Port Gibson Battle Site
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:1
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:10-11-1985
Recorded:12-02-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 11-T, p. 438
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Port Gibson Battlefield
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
The Shaifer House, built about 1840, is the only surviving antebellum building within the site of the Battle of Port Gibson. It is a contributing component of the Port Gibson Battle Site, which was listed on the National Register in 1972 and was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 2005. The house was designated as a Mississippi Landmark in 1985.

Included in "Architecture in Claiborne County, Mississippi" (1974) (p.395) and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (pp.63-64, ND78).
Brief Description
The house is a wood-frame galleried planter's cottage built about 1840.