Location Information
(for the Y&MV Railroad Depot)
Name:Y&MV Railroad Depot [C&G Railroad Depot]
Address:738 Washington Avenue
City/County:Greenville, Washington County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1905
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR District Name:Greenville Commercial (Boundary Increase I)
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:137
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:10-08-2010
Context/Comments
The Y & MV Depot is historically significant for its association with Transportation. Built in 1910 and remodeled in 1945, the depot served the community as a passenger depot until 1965. In 1884 the Memphis and New Orleans RR completed a line from Greenville to Lamont which became part of the “Riverside” line operated by the Louisville, New Orleans and Texas Railroad. A small depot north of the current building was constructed in that period. By 1890, the “Riverside” line became part of the Yazoo & Mississippi Valley Railroad. The Y & MV built a two-story depot on the footprint of the current station. The first floor had passenger facilities while the partial second floor, essentially two large dormers, housed office space. The building was remodeled in 1945 when the second floor dormers were removed, the roof reconfigured, and some doors and windows altered. Passengers could get service to Memphis, Vicksburg and New Orleans. After its use as a railroad depot, the building housed a Trailways bus station.
Brief Description
The Y & MV RR Depot is a one-story brick building with a dual pitch hip roof. The building is an elongated rectangle on a north-south axis, and brick quoins adorn all four corners. Trackside (east), there is a centered projecting bay with 6/6 windows in both the north and south face to allow views of traffic. Flanking the bay are two door/window units. The entire unit has a concrete lintel and is formed by single-leaf doors flanking paired 6/6 windows. The doors are eight-lights with six light transoms. Each door opens to a separate waiting room, probably divided by race. The waiting rooms are separated by a short wall with an intersecting door and a ticket room that has angled windows opening on opposite sides into each waiting room. An agent’s office, with a private restroom, was located to the west of the waiting room. Along the north wall, three doors opened into a boiler room, a storage closet and a restroom. Along the south wall two doors opened into a lounge/restroom, probably for women, and a second restroom. The walls and ceilings are plaster with a chair rail and paneled wainscoting. The floors are ceramic tile, except the ticket room which has linoleum.
Reports
Greenville Y & MV Railroad Depot: Mississippi Landmark Significance Report August 2010 Bill Gatlin, MDAH