Location Information
(for the Cobb House)
Name:Cobb House
Address:1011 Crawford Street
St. Francis Xavier School & Convent Complex
City/County:Vicksburg, Warren County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1835
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR District Name:Uptown Vicksburg Amendment and Boundary Increase No. 2
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:39
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:V. 1036, p. 39
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Historic Vicksburg District
click here for additional information on this district.
Built in 1835, this two-story double-pile Greek Revival house, originally a private residence, became the first location of the school and convent of the Sisters of Mercy in 1860. There are distyle-in-antis frontispieces on both the first and second stories. The exterior was restored in 1998, at which time the one-story portico at the entrance was rebuilt. The interior was restored in 2001-04.

It is included in "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p.78, in the listing for the Balfour House, YB17, and also in the listing for the Historic St. Francis Xavier School and Convent, YB18). [HABS: MS-115 (1936) - identified as St. Francis Xavier Convent]

Originally listed as element #37, 'contributing', in Uptown Vicksburg Historic District.
Brief Description
A two-story brick Greek Revival residence, facing south, with a slate-covered hip roof. There are five bays: four six-over-six, double-hung windows with flat stone lintels, and a recessed entry with a single-leaf, paneled door with sidelights, transom, and Ionic pilasters. Ionic columns support an entablature at the entrance to the recess.