Location Information
(for the Tallahatchie County Courthouse Second District)
Name:Tallahatchie County Courthouse (Second District)
City/County:Sumner, Tallahatchie County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1910
Architectural Styles(s):Romanesque
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:06 Mar 2007
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:v. 296, p. 255
Built in 1910 to serve the civic needs of residents of western Tallahatchie County, the courthouse reflects the popular Richardsonian Romanesque style, executed in bricks. Characteristics of the style can be seen in the broad low arch over the main entrance, round arches on the upper windows, and the pyramidal-roofed towers. In 1955, the courthouse was the scene of a trial that attracted international attention and contributed to the growing civil rights movement. Emmett Till, a 14 year old African-American youth from Chicago, was visiting relatives in Mississippi when he was kidnapped and brutally murdered. Two local men, J. W. Milam and Roy Bryant, were charged and tried for the kidnapping. The all white jury acquitted both men after deliberating less than one hour. Both men were later to admit their guilt, but no further charges were ever filed. The nomination was written by Bill Gatlin, MDAH architectural historian. Listed March 6, 2007 for statewide significance, amended to national significance August 6, 2007. The building received a 2002 Community Heritage Preservation Grant of $100,000.