Location Information
(for the Verandah House)
Name:Verandah House [Curlee House]
Address:711 Jackson Street
City/County:Corinth, Alcorn County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1860
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NHL Listing Date:22 Aug 1975
NR Listing Date:22 Aug 1975
NR District Name:Midtown Corinth
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:98
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:02-25-1987
Recorded:03-26-1987
Book/Vol. No.:DB 232, p. 279
Context/Comments
The Curlee House is a three-bay-wide, one-story white stucco structure based on the traditional double-pile formula with a broad central passage. It exhibits a late, attenuated version of Greek Revival styling that has a strongly Italianate character, although the house is not bracketed. Following the Battle of Shiloh, the house was the headquarters of Confederate generals Braxton Bragg anmd Earl Van Dorn and Union General Halleck. In 1875, the house was purchased by W.P. Curlee and again in 1921, by S.H. Curlee, founder of the Curlee Clothing Company. Now operated as a house museum. [HABS: MS-238 (1975)]