Location Information
(for the old Aberdeen National Guard Armory)
Name:(old) Aberdeen National Guard Armory [Aberdeen Parks & Recreation]
Address:611 Commerce Street, West
City/County:Aberdeen, Monroe County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1938
Architectural Styles(s):Art Moderne
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR District Name:South Central Aberdeen (Boundary Increase #2)
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:1
Context/Comments
About 1939-40 this building served as the armory for Company G, 155th Infantry.
Brief Description
2-story Art Moderne style, poured concrete armory building with a flat roof over the front section and a barrel vault roof over the auditorium at the back and two, one-story wings. The primary facade is seven bays (2W-2W-2W-D-2W-2W-2W) consists of a two-story, central bay with a recessed entryway flanked by pylon-like projections with coping. The rear area has a rounded, asphalt shingle roof. A cast concrete eagle medallion is centered above two windows on second floor and the name plate is obscured by a banner and there are three grooved blocks at the top of the parapet. The recessed entry has paired, replacement slab doors and the primary windows are 6/3-light metal casement windows. The second floor has metal, double hung, 6/6 windows with three light transoms. The center area on the first floor flanking the entrance is grooved and it has a metal stair railing and a raised foundation with metal vents.
Historic Information
Built in 1937-38 as one of four Mississippi armories as part of Works Project Administration. The other armories are located in Amory, Starkville and Meadville. Used by National Guard Company "G" 155th Infantry, Aberdeen which sent a troop to participate World War II in 1940? The building was used to provide secure storage space for weapons and equipment and large enough to 600-1000 soldiers. Original blueprints are retained at the City of Armory City Clerk's Office.