Location Information
(for the house)
Address:212 Franklin Street, South
City/County:Aberdeen, Monroe County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1900
Architectural Styles(s):Queen Anne, Craftsman
No. of Stories:1.5
Destroyed:burned c.2017
Registration Information
NR District Name:South Central Aberdeen
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:19
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Silk Stocking Row Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Brief Description
One-and-one-half-story bayed cottage with a combination of Queen Anne and Craftsman stylistic influences. The house weatherboard sided and rests on a brick pier foundation with infill stuccoed masonry. The asphalt-shingled roof is side-gabled with overhanging eaves and brackets. Side gable ends feature decorative wood shingles and four, 4(vertical):1 double-hung wood sash windows. A lower front-gabled bay projects from the facade and features decorative wood shingle-work in the gable end and a plain cornice. A dormer with shed roof and a set of 5, 4(vertical)-light fixed wood windows is centered on the front (west) roof slope. A similar dormer is on the rear roof slope. A full-width shed wing is along the rear and appears to be historic. The north corner of this wing is an enclosed porch. A stuccoed chimney straddles the roof ridge. Small, one-story bays with shed roof project slightly from the side elevations. The facade is three bays (3W, D, 3) with a single-leaf glazed and paneled door flanked by sidelights with decorative paneled apron. Windows are 2(vertical):2(vertical) double-hung wood sash. A partial-width entry porch with shed roof is inset in the front ell. Its roof is supported by tapered, wood paneled boxed posts on brick piers.
Historic Information
Sanborn Maps suggest that the house began as a bayed, Queen Anne cottage that evolved by 1938 into a Bungaloid structure.