Location Information
(for the Chapel of the Cross Episcopal)
Name:Chapel of the Cross (Episcopal)
Address:Highway 463 (Mannsdale Road)
Mannsdale community
City/County:Madison vic., Madison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1850-52
Architectural Styles(s):Gothic Revival
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:13 Jun 1972
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
Begun about 1850 and completed about 1852. Based on a design by Frank Wills of New York, a major architect of the ecclesiological movement. The supervising architect is thought to have been Jacob L. Larmour, from New York, who was living in Canton at the time. Consecrated in 1852. It was built as a memorial for John T. Johnstone, by his wife, Margaret. Included in the Inventory of the Church Archives of Mississippi – Protestant Episcopal Church – Diocese of Mississippi (1940) (#30, pp. 66-67), White Pillars (1941) (pp. 102-103), Shrines to Tomorrow (1971), Historic Architecture in Mississippi (1973) (pp. 80-81), Jackson Landmarks (1982) (pp. 134-135), Architecture of the Old South: Mississippi – Alabama (1989), Architecture of the Old South (summary volume) (pp. 271, 311), and The Majesty of Eastern Mississippi and the Coast (2004) (pp. 37-38). Also mentioned in The Gothic Revival & American Church Architecture (1968) (p. 293) and included in “Ecclesiological Gothic in the Antebellum South,” Winterthur Portfolio 15:2 (September 1980) (pp. 131-133). Listed on the National Register on 13 June 1972. Received an HPF grant in the late 1970s. [HABS: MS-17-3 (1934): measured drawings] [MDAH photos PI/CH/1981.0046:1-20, and photos in PI/WPA/ churches]