Location Information
(for the Lowndes County Courthouse)
Name:Lowndes County Courthouse
Address:501 2nd Avenue, North
City/County:Columbus, Lowndes County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1847
No. of Stories:2
Remodeling Date:1901
Registration Information
NR District Name:Columbus Central Commercial
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:78
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:02-05-1990
Recorded:02-12-1990
Book/Vol. No.:V. 920, p. 782
Context/Comments
Originally built in 1847, the Lowndes County Courthouse was substantially remodeled in 1903 under the direction of architect R.H. Hunt. It is a contributing element (element #78) in the Columbus Central Commercial Historic District, which was placed on the National Register in 1980. It was designated as a Mississippi Landmark in 1990.

[HABS: MS-81 (1936)]