Location Information
(for the Old Madison County Courthouse)
Name:(Old) Madison County Courthouse
Address:Courthouse Square
City/County:Canton, Madison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1854-57
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR District Name:Canton Courthouse Square
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:1
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:10-11-1985
Recorded:11-26-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 210, p. 249
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Canton Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
Built from 1854 to 1857, this is an elegant two-story brick Greek Revival building with a domed cupola, Greek Doric tetrastyle porticoes on the east and west facades, and shallow distyle-in-antis porticoes on the north and south, with a fine Doric entablature encircling the building. It underwent some remodeling in 1925 under the direction of architect C.H. Lindsley.

It was listed on the National Register as a contributing element (element #1) in the Canton Courthouse Square Historic District, which was placed on the Register on 30 August 1982. It was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 11 October 1985.

This building is included in "Historic Architecture in Mississippi" (1973) (p. 82), "Mississippi Courthouses, Then and Now" (1987), "Architecture of the Old South: Mississippi – Alabama" (1989), "Architecture of the Old South" (summary volume) (1993) (pp. 235-237), "Must See Mississippi" (2007) (pp. 103-106), and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p. 228, JM1).