Location Information
(for the Lee County Courthouse)
Name:Lee County Courthouse
Address:200 Broadway, North
City/County:Tupelo, Lee County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1904
Architectural Styles(s):Beaux Arts
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:03 Apr 1992
NR District Name:Downtown Tupelo (2014)
    NR Status:Contributing
    Element No.:6
    MPS:Historic Resources in Tupelo, Mississippi
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:V. 1191, p. 475
Designed by architect P.H. Weathers, the Lee County Courthouse was built 1904.

It was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 20 May 1986. It was individually listed on the National Register in 1992 (as a component of the "Historic Resources of Tupelo" Multiple Property Submission), and it was later included as a “previously listed” element (element #6) in the Downtown Tupelo Historic District, which was placed on the National Register on 2 June 2014.

This building is included in "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p. 167, NE16).

Brief Description
Two-story, frame with coursed, ashlar-cut stone cladding, hipped metal roof courthouse in Classical Revival style, sited on entire city block with public green space. Five-part, 12-bay west facade features a central bay consisting of square Ionic pilasters and columns in antis between massive piers. The recessed entrance has paired metal and glass single light doors and a frontispiece which includes an entablature with a dentilated frieze and cornice trim and a pediment decorated with swag. It has double-hung sash wood windows with 4/1 or 1/1 lights. The second floor has nine bays of 1/1 double-hung sash wood windows with copper spandrel panels. Building crowned by an octagonal cupola has an encircled entablature accented with dentils and modillions. The cupola has paired Doric columns interspaced with rectangular wood vents and windows with pilasters supporting pediments; the cupola is adorned by an entablature, swags, and circular clocks with Roman numerals. The wood and molded copper dome has 4 columns supporting a domical copper roof. Designer, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Miss.; contractors, Leake & Goodlett of Tupelo. Alterations include ca. 1966 installation of paired aluminum and metal and glass doors, architect, Robert B. McKnight; and ca. 1977 handicap ramp on the Broadway entrance. This building was individually listed in the National Register in 1992 for its Classical Revival architectural style.