Location Information
(for the Stevenson Primary School)
Name:Stevenson Primary School
Address:1015 25th Avenue
City/County:Meridian, Lauderdale County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1911
Architectural Styles(s):Eclectic/Composite, Mission
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:18 Dec 1979
MPS:Historic Resources of Meridian
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:11-18-1986
Recorded:03-25-1987
Book/Vol. No.:V. 1074, p. 114
Context/Comments
This was the second Stevenson School on this site, replacing a school building erected in 1885 that had been renamed Stevenson School by 1903 in honor of Col. W. G. Stevenson, who had been Superintendent of Education for Lauderdale County. This building was enlarged in 1937. It ceased to be used as a school in the 1950s. Listed on the National Register on 18 December 1979 as part of the Meridian MRA, prepared by Jody Cook. Designated a Mississippi Landmark on 18 November 1986. About 1994-95 the building was acquired by the St. Francis Housing Corporation and converted to housing for the elderly.