Location Information
(for the de la Pointe-Krebs House)
Name:de la Pointe-Krebs House ["Old Spanish Fort" ("Old French Fort" - HABS)]
Address:4602 Fort Street
City/County:Pascagoula, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1770s
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:03 Sep 1971
MPS:Historic Resources of Pascagoula, Mississippi
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:01-05-1984
Recorded:01-31-1984
Book/Vol. No.:V. 783, p. 140
Context/Comments
Thought to have been built by 1775, and perhaps as early as 1718, this is believed to be the oldest surviving building in Mississippi. It was enlarged about 1820. In the 1990s it underwent a substantial restoration to return it to its appearance as of about 1820. Owned by Jackson County and operated as a museum. Listed on the National Register on 3 September 1971. Designated a Mississippi Landmark on 5 January 1984. This building received an HPF grant of $20,000 in 1978 and a grant of $45,000 under the Emergency Jobs Act of 1983. It received flooding damage from Hurricane Katrina on 29 August 2005, including damage to the porch that exposed previous termite damage. Included in Historic Architecture in Mississippi (pp. 102-103). [HABS: MS-18 (1936/1940): photos and measured drawings]