Location Information
(for the L & N Railroad Depot)
Name:L & N Railroad Depot
Address:1000 Washington Avenue
City/County:Ocean Springs, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1907-1908
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:31 Dec 1979
NR District Name:Old Ocean Springs (Boundary Increase)
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:438
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:12-07-1995
Recorded:12-20-1995
Book/Vol. No.:V. 1076, p. 690
Context/Comments
The Louisville & Nashville Railroad depot in Ocean Springs was the focal point of the town's social and economic activity, playing a vital role in the prominence of the town as a resort community and commercial producer of citurs fruit, pecans, shrimp and oysters. The only remaining building of a former railroad complex which included roundhouse, pumphouse, park, and bandstand, the Ocean Springs depot is an important example of a typical small-town station constructed by the L& N Railroad in the early 1900s. The Louisville and Nashville Railroad Depot was decommissioned on April 20, 1965.
Brief Description
One-story, concrete block, three-bay-wide (d-w-w) Neo-Eclectic late-20th century commercial building with a fullwidth
faux mansard roof porch supported by square posts and closed balustrade. The entry is a 9-light over 1-panel
wood door flanked by 3-light over 1-panel sidelights with a 5-light segmental arched transom. Windows are wood
segmental arched 36-light fixed, and aluminum 2/2 d-h-s. Decorative features include cloth awnings and quoins. The
building rests on a concrete slab, is clad in brick and concrete block, and has a tar and gravel roof.