Location Information
(for the St. John's Episcopal Church)
Name:St. John's Episcopal Church
Address:705 Porter Avenue
705 Rayburn Avenue
City/County:Ocean Springs, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1892
Architectural Styles(s):Gothic Revival
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:20 Apr 1987
NR District Name:Old Ocean Springs (Boundary Increase)
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:253
MPS:Ocean Springs Multiple Resource Area
View National Register Nomination Form
Context/Comments
The design of this building was based on the design of the Church of the Ascension in Rockville Center, Long Island, New York, by Manly N. Cutter, a New York architect, which was published in The Churchman (July 11, 1891). The plans were prepared by the Rev. Nelson Ayers. Listed on the National Register on 20 April 1987 as part of the Ocean Springs MRA. Included in the Inventory of the Church Archives of Mississippi – Protestant Episcopal Church – Diocese of Mississippi (1940) (#44, pp. 76-77), Shrines to Tomorrow (1971), and Historic Churches of Mississippi (2007).
Brief Description
One-story, frame, five-bay-wide and three-bay-deep front gable Gothic Revival church with a projecting gable roof
vestibule and rose stained glass window on the right (east) side. A gable entry porch fills the right front (southwest)
re-entrant angle. Bays are divided by shingle clad flaired buttresses. Bays 2 and 4 are accented with lower cross
gables and larger windows. All windows are lancet stained glass with drip molding. The church has a brick pier
foundation, novelty and bead board cladding separated by a dado, and an asphalt shingle roof. A front-gable Parish house with octagonal corner turret is attached to the sanctuary by a gable-roof hyphen.