Location Information
(for the Ocean Springs Community Center)
Name:Ocean Springs Community Center
Address:510-512 Washington Avenue
City/County:Ocean Springs, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1949-50
Architectural Styles(s):Eclectic/Composite
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:24 Aug 1989
NR District Name:Old Ocean Springs
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:510
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:05-09-1990
Recorded:05-29-1990
Book/Vol. No.:V. 958, p. 683
Easement Information
Date Signed:09-22-2011
Easement Type:Preservation/Maintenance
Book/Vol. No.:Book 1668 Pg. 472-482
Context/Comments
A one-story, front-gabled concrete block meeting hall. Soon after its construction, its interior was adorned with an elaborate array of murals painted by Walter Anderson (1903-1965). In 1991 it was incorporated into the new Walter Anderson Museum of Art. Individually listed on the National Register on 24 August 1989 as part of the Walter Anderson Thematic Group. In August 2005 it was announced that the Ocean Springs Community Center had been awarded a “Save America’s Treasures” grant of $100,000 for Federal Fiscal Year 2007. Originally listed as element #28, 'non-contributing.'

Included in “Buildings of Mississippi” (2020) (p.355).
Brief Description
One-story, concrete block, front-gable Neo-Classical civic building with an inset partial porch supported by full-height Tuscan columns. The inset entry consists of 8-light over 2-panel wood double doors with 15-light transom. Windows are wood 9/9 d-h-s, oval 9-light fixed, and 12-light fixed. Decorative features include gable returns, entablature, pented gable, denticulated cornice, and Doric pilasters. The building rests on a concrete slab, is clad in concrete, and has an asphalt shingle roof. Two gable roof additions are appended to the right (south) elevation.
Historic Information
In 1951, Walter Anderson volunteered to paint murals at the center. His plan was to depict the 1699 landing of Iberville at Ocean Springs on the south wall, and the flora and fauna of the region on the north wall. Prior to painting the murals, Anderson studied Gayarre's 'History of Louisiana,' and travelled to the Cabildo archives in New Orleans. The murals took over a year to paint, and are approximately 3,000 sq. ft. in area.