Location Information
(for the Gautier Elementary School)
Name:Gautier Elementary School
Address:505 Magnolia Tree Drive
401 De La Pointe Drive
City/County:Gautier, Jackson County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1940
Architectural Styles(s):Art Moderne
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:14 Nov 2012
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:12-14-2006
Context/Comments
The Gautier School, built in 1940 with additions in 1962, is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places for local significance under Criterion A for association with Education. The Gautier School has served the Gautier community as a public school since 1940. It replaced an earlier building which was physically outdated and located on an inconvenient site. Local voters supported a bond issue to fund the new school. Gautier School is also locally significant under Criterion C for association with Architecture as a local example of the Streamline Moderne style of architecture. James Warren McCleskey, Jr., a Hattiesburg architect designed the 1940 building. When the population growth in Gautier required expansion of the facility, the school board retained C. H. Linsley, who designed a modern addition to the building and two four-classroom freestanding buildings. The Gautier School continued to serve the Gautier community as a school.
Brief Description
See National Register nomination for detailed description.
Historic Information
Gautier Elementary school was was funded by a local bond issue. The original building was designed by Hattiesburg architect James Warren McClesky Sr. W.F. Breland was the builder, L.C. Winterton the consulting engineer. The school was completed in 1940, and dedicated on Jan. 5, 1941. In 1962, an addition, designed by C.H. Lindsley, and built by the Biloxi-based firm of J.O. Collins, was built at the rear of the original structure. Two additional classroom building were constructed in 1968, and another classroom building in 1986. The library was added in 2008. The school complex was heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but the buildings were restores to their original style.