Location Information
(for the Lampton-Wallace House)
Name:Lampton-Wallace House
Address:1515 State Street, North
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1913
Architectural Styles(s):Georgian, Colonial Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR District Name:Belhaven
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:1084
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Belhaven Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Brief Description
Two-story, brick veneer Georgian Revival style residence with a hip roof of flat clay tiles on a concrete foundation. A flat roof one-story projecting entry porch is supported by wood Tuscan columns on a concrete porch deck with concrete steps which have brick wing walls with cast stone caps. There is a wood roof balustrade with a double cross pattern. The fa├žade is five-bay (D, W-Tripled, D, W-Tripled, Porch) on the first floor and five-bay (W-Tripled, W, W, W, W-Tripled) on the second floor. At the corners of the house are cast stone quoins and there are brick quoins flanking the central bay of the house under the front facing gable. The tripled window units have a central 12/1 wood double hung sash flanked by 9/1 wood double hung sash. Above the window units on the first floor are jack arches with a cast stone keystone and cast stone end blocks. The tripled window units on the second floor have planter boxes beneath the windows supported by paired brackets. The middle of the single windows on the second floor is a 12/1 wood double hung sash and the outer single windows are 9/1 wood double hung sash. Dividing the three windows is a column of stretcher brick which becomes an arch over the middle of the three windows with a cast stone keystone. In the center of that arch is a diamond with basket weave pattern brick. Above the three middle windows is a front facing gable with gable returns. The entry door is wood with five moulded panels and is flanked by sidelights with double cross pattern lights and a matching transom above. On either end of the house is a flat roof one-story porch supported by brick columns at the corners with wood Tuscan columns next to each column. The porches have roof balustrades matching the entry porch. The porch on the left has been infilled with a double-leaf wood arched door with multiple lights and stucco siding. The other porch on the right has been screened. There are two front facing gable roof dormers with gable returns, stucco siding and an arched wood louvered vent. At either end of the house are external brick chimneys with corbelling at the top. Wide overhanging eaves are boxed, have large scale dentils, and a wide frieze board below.
Historic Information
In 1905, H. H. Lougino purchased this lot, as registered in the Jackson, MS, Land Records Deed Book. T. B. (Thad) Lampton, President of the Citizens Savings Bank & Trust Co., later purchased the property and had the house constructed by I. C. Garber. Thad Lampton came from Magnolia to Jackson to fulfill an unexpired term as State Treasurer, and later became President of the Capital National Bank. Mr. Lampton is credited with having the first good clay tennis court in Jackson. His wife, Helen Lampton (Mrs. J. Blake) Lowe, was the first President of the Junior Auxillary (which became the Junior League in 1940) of Jackson which formed in this home in 1927. The house was later the home of Adine Lampton and her husband, George C. Wallace. The stain glass in the house is originally from Austria. The servants' quarters were once the Millsaps College Chi Omega House.