| Built about 1888 for Major Reuben Webster Millsaps (1833-1916), this is a two-story wood-frame Queen Anne house to which a Neoclassical portico was added around 1928. Major Millsaps was one of Mississippi's leading financiers and philanthropists during the post-Civil War period. His initial endowment stimulated the establishment of Millsaps College. Upon Major Millsaps' death, the house passed to his nephew and protégé, Webster Millsaps Buie (1880-1930), whose accomplishments in the financial and business world were to eventually rival those of Millsaps in magnitude. The house was listed on the National Register on 19 June 1973. It is included in "Jackson Landmarks" (1982) (pp. 102-103), "Jackson (Images of America)" (1998) (p. 89), "The Majesty of Eastern Mississippi and the Coast" (2004) (pp.51-52), and "Jackson's North State Street (Images of America)" (2009) (pp. 44-45). |