Location Information
(for the former Sears Department Store)
Name:(former) Sears Department Store [Eudora Welty Library]
Address:300 State Street, North
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1946
Architectural Styles(s):Art Moderne, International
Registration Information
NR District Name:Spengler's Corner Boundary Increase
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:31
Brief Description
A two-story, yellow brick L-shaped commercial building with a flat roof hidden behind a flat plain parapet. The original facade faced State Street where the original entrance is emphasized by a projecting brick portion below which the original main entrance has been infilled and now has "Eudora Welty Library" in applied block letters. Above the original plate glass display windows on the original entrance elevation is the original flat awning, lower in the middle and higher at the ends. About 1980, Sears moved out of the building and it became the Jackson and the main entrance was moved to the parking lot
elevation.