Location Information
(for the Hinds County Armory)
Name:Hinds County Armory
Address:1012 Mississippi Street
on Mississippi State Fairgrounds
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1927-28
Architectural Styles(s):Gothic Revival
No. of Stories:2
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:01 Dec 2000
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:V. 3200, p. 236
Easement Information
Date Signed:01-15-2013
Easement Type:Preservation/Maintenance
Book/Vol. No.:V. 7137 Pg. 9972-82
Designed by Jackson architect Frank P. Gates, the building was built in 1927-28 to serve as a National Guard armory. It is the oldest 20th century National Guard armory in Mississippi. In 1940, Mississippi National Guard units operating from this location included Headquarters and Company A of the 106th Engineer Regiment and Companies C and F of the 155th Infantry. The 106th Engineer Regiment was inducted into federal service here on 25 November 1940.