Location Information
(for the Col. J.L. Power House)
Name:Col. J.L. Power House
Address:411 Amite Street, East
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1855, 1876
No. of Stories:1
Destroyed:demolished in 1958
A one-story house with a decorative iron gallery. This house was the home of Col. John Logan Power (1834-1901), a founder of the Clarion-Ledger who served as Secretary of State from 1896 to 1901, and his daughter Anabel Power, who lived in the house until her death in 1958. The house was demolished in 1958. The ironwork of the porch was installed at the Junior League Headquarters at 805 Riverside Drive in 1968. [HABS: MS-65 (1936)]