Location Information
(for the Mississippi Foundry and Machine Company Building)
Name:Mississippi Foundry and Machine Company Building
Address:300 South Street, West
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1905
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:16 Jul 2008
View National Register Nomination Form
Local Designation Information
Local Landmark Listing Date:08 Jul 1992
click here to view ordinance
Context/Comments
The Mississippi Foundry and Machine Company was founded in 1900 as a manufacturer of agricultural implements. The oldest portions of the building were built in 1905, with additions in 1914 and 1918. The foundry wing was replaced in 1925, completing the construction of the current complex. It stands today as a well-preserved example of a substantial mill-type building of brick and heavy timber that was vitally important to Mississippi’s economic development during the first quarter of the twentieth century. Richard Cawthon, consulting architectural historian, wrote the nomination.