Location Information
(for the Illinois Central Railroad Depot)
Name:Illinois Central Railroad Depot [Union Station]
Address:240 (300) Capitol Street, West
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1926-27
Architectural Styles(s):Italian Renaissance
Registration Information
NR District Name:West Capitol Street
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:4
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:04-06-1999
Recorded:02-25-2005
Book/Vol. No.:V. 6215, p. 952
Context/Comments
The Illinois Central Railroad Depot (Union Station) in Jackson was built in 1926-27 under the direction of the architectural office of the Illinois Central Railroad, based in Chicago.

The depot is listed as a contributing element (element #4) in the in the West Capitol Street Historic District, which was placed on the National Register on 13 March 1980. The building was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 6 April 1999 and its designation was confirmed on 16 October 2000.

It is included in "Jackson Landmarks" (1982) (p. 156) and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (p. 247, JM27).