| This is the third building for St. Andrew’s, which was organized in 1839. (The first was begun in 1846 and completed in 1849, and stood at the southeast corner of President and Amite Streets. It burned during the Civil War. The second [049-JAC-0033-X] was a brick Romanesque Revival building begun in 1869 and completed in 1873, which stood on the southeast corner of Capitol and Congress Streets.) St. Andrew’s officially became the Cathedral of the Diocese of Mississippi in 1966. The Richard Howard Green Parish House (040-JAC-0014.2-NRD), located immediately south of the church, was built in 1923-24 (Emmett J. Hull, architect). An addition to the Parish House, facing onto West Street, was built in 1954-55. Another addition to the Parish House, extending along the property line east of the nave of the church, and facing onto Capitol Street, was constructed about 1988. It is listed as a contributing element (element #4) in the in the Smith Park Architectural District, which was placed on the National Register on 23 March 1976. The Cathedral is included in "Shrines to Tomorrow" (1971), "Jackson Landmarks" (1982) (pp. 40-41), "Jackson (Images of America)" (1998) (p. 53), "The Majesty of Eastern Mississippi and the Coast" (2004) (pp. 48-49), "Historic Churches of Mississippi" (2007) (pp. 64-65), and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (pp. 243-244, JM19). |