Location Information
(for the War Memorial Building)
Name:War Memorial Building
Address:120 State Street, North
on Old Capitol Green
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1939-40
Architectural Styles(s):Art Moderne
Registration Information
NR District Name:Spengler's Corner Boundary Increase
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:27
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:08-20-1986
Recorded:08-29-1986
Book/Vol. No.:V. 3258, p. 212
Context/Comments
Designed by a team of architects led by E.L. Malvaney, and funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA Project Miss. 1279), the War Memorial Building was built in 1939-40 as a memorial to those who died during World War I.

This building was originally listed on the National Register on 25 November 1969 as one of the prominent buildings located on the Old Capital Green (which was essentially a small historic district, though not specifically identified as such); and it was later included as a “previously listed” element (element #27) in the enlargement of the Spengler's Corner Historic District that was placed on the National Register on 24 January 2019 as the Spengler's Corner Historic District Boundary Increase. The building was designated a Mississippi Landmark on 20 August 1986.

The War Memorial Building is included in "Jackson Landmarks" (1982) (p. 27) and "Buildings of Mississippi" (2020) (pp. 237-238, JM13).

Brief Description
A two-story square flat-roofed limestone block building with a half circle on the rear. The façade has a wide central opening leading into a central courtyard. The opening is supported by square columns with stylized capitals embellished with faces. A similar opening and columns are located at the rear of the courtyard which opens into a hall where the entrances to the building are located. Aluminum frame windows open onto the courtyard. Over the windows are aluminum panels with magnolia blossoms as well as Greek key and eagle relief lintels. In the hall, the doors have four octagonal lights and are further embellished with weapons. Above the doors are bas relief depictions of historic battles. The ceiling of the rear hall is coffered with electric lights in each coffer, trimmed with stylized leaves.