Location Information
(for the Tiger Stadium)
Name:Tiger Stadium [Newell Field]
Address:1900 State Street, North
Bailey High School grounds
City/County:Jackson, Hinds County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1941
Registration Information
NR District Name:Belhaven
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:1098b
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:04-24-1992
Recorded:05-18-1992
Book/Vol. No.:V. 3964, p. 430
Context/Comments
Tiger Stadium's concrete bleachers were a Works Progress Administration project.
Brief Description
Poured concrete football stadium with two spectator stands constructed on opposite ends of the field. Both were constructed around the same time as Bailey Junior High School, which the football field and stadium sit behind. The field is accessed by a ticket booth and gates newly constructed in 2011. The ticket booth is a one-story stucco covered structure with a flat roof. There are three ticket windows with concrete sills/counters for each one. The windows are covered with metal roll up doors when closed. Over the windows is a suspended canopy tied to the upper portion of the building by metal rods. Flanking the ticket booth are metal gates and masonry gateposts covered in stucco with lamps on top. The ticket booth and gate posts have simplified stepping mimicking the stepping of the fa├žade on the school. Beyond the ticket booth the land drops off into a ?bowl? with the football field at the bottom. On opposite ends of the football field are the spectator stands. The stand on the west end is a poured concrete design which uses the slope of the land to its advantage sloping the seats down to the field. The sides follow the slope of the land and then at the highest point at the back have an asymmetrical arched opening to access the underside of the stands and steps to the seats. The seats are benches and there are six sets of stairs to access the seats with cast concrete walls. The back of the stands at the highest point are supported by tapered cast concrete columns. Attached to the north end of the west side stand is a masonry field house with a flat concrete roof constructed in 1947. The field house is on a concrete foundation and has brick walls. There is row of windows just below the wide overhanging eave. The windows are metal two part hopper windows with bars on the outside. The other stands on the east end of the field are metal bleacher type stands with metal railings and metal bench seats.