Location Information
(for the Cassity Hall)
Name:Cassity Hall
Address:Yazoo Street
Delta State University
City/County:Cleveland, Bolivar County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1948
Architectural Styles(s):Modern, Mediterranean
No. of Stories:2
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:07-27-2012
Context/Comments
Cassity Hall was constructed in the post-World War II era when enrollment at Delta State Teachers College (now known as Delta State University) had quadrupled from its wartime enrollment. New faculty and faculty housing had become necessary due to the larger enrollment, but since most of faculty of the college were single women, building an apartment was more practical than traditional types of single-family married faculty housing used at other Mississippi universities. Its architectural character is a sort of Modernist interpretation of the Mediterranean Style. It was designated a Mississippi Landmark in 2012.
Brief Description
Built in 1948, Cassity Hall is a two-story apartment building in an H-style floor plan. The building was designed by Jackson architect, R. W. Naef, and built by Garber-Brooks Construction Co. of Jackson. An eight car garage that is located to the rear of the building was designed by Kennington Architect, Ltd. of Grenada and constructed by Denton Lumber Co. of Shelby in 1953.

The building has a symmetrical layout with a flat roof and simplified Mediterranean Style details that reflect the style of other historic buildings on campus. Eight apartments--four three-bedroom and four two-bedroom--open to a center hall that contains a single flight of stairs, and there is a laundry room in the rear.

The cast-stone, two-story entry frontispiece features simplified Italian Renaissance Revival details and includes a pair of pilasters composed of Roman bundled rods, supporting an entablature that also uses the bundled rod detail as the architrave and a classical frieze and cornice. Below the entablature there are three rosettes, two of which are located in the corners of the pilasters and entablature. The largest of the three is located in the blind arch above the recessed double leaf wooden doors with full length lights. The frontispiece is topped with a cast stone single window surround with decorative scrolls on both sides of the window.
Reports
Cassity Hall, DSU: ML Significance Report, Feb 2012 Mingo Tingle, MDAH