Artisan Search Results
Artisans:1Properties:6

 

Fort, Frank A. (b.1896 - d.1963)
Architect, Meridian/Jackson, MS
Born Meridian, MS, graduated Georgia Tech School of Architecture with a 2-year degree in 1916. Served as a fighter pilot in WWI, and traveled through Europe after the war. Worked with McKim, Mead, & White in NYC and LaFarge, Warren, & Clark in NYC. Moved back south to Meridian in 1929, working on a number of federal and state projects. J.P. YARBROUGH was his Chief Draftsman from 1929-1931; HARRY E. WEIR was a draftsman for him in 1930. Fort closed his Meridian office due to the economic slowdown of the Great Depression in 1933. He moved to Jackson, MS in 1934 and served as architectural foreman for the State Forestry Commission until January 1935, when he left to serve as state architect for the Federal Housing Administration. He joined the AIA in 1937, at which time he was living at 1356 St. Mary Street and his office was in the New Merchants Bank Building in Jackson. He served as president of the MS AIA in 1939. His firm FORT & WHITE (1943-1959) planned a number of subdivisions in Jackson in the post-WWII years (including Colonial Courts, Victory Park, Shadowlawn, Arbor Hills, Kimbrough Heights, Eastover, and Larchmont). By the 1960s, he was also involved in home building in Sarasota, FL, and in plans for the development of the Ross Barnett Resevoir area of Jackson. Office listed in 1962 at 3950 Eastover Drive, Jackson.
DateInventory#Name of PropertyRoleDescription of WorkLocation
D1929-30075-MER-0146.2-NR-MLArchitect--AssociateOriginal buildingMeridian, Lauderdale Co.
D1932075-MER-0166-NRArchitect--Joint VentureOriginal buildingMeridian, Lauderdale Co.
D1939-40049-JAC-0004-NRE-MLArchitect--AssociateOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
D1940049-JAC-4507Real Estate DeveloperSubdivision PlatJackson, Hinds Co.
Ac. 1941049-JAC-5975-NRDArchitectOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.
Ac.1950049-JAC-4909-XArchitectOriginal buildingJackson, Hinds Co.