Location Information
(for the Pleasant Reed House original site)
Name:Pleasant Reed House (original site)
Address:306 Elmer Street
City/County:Biloxi, Harrison County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1887
No. of Stories:1.5
Destroyed:destroyed by Katrina (Aug 2005)
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:11 Jan 1979
Date Delisted:16 Jul 2008
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Book/Vol. No.:V. 391, pp. 94-95
Local Designation Information
Local Landmark Listing Date:07 Sep 2010
click here to view ordinance
A spindlework-trimmed shotgun house with a two-story rear wing, notable for association with a locally-prominent African American family. Included in The Buildings of Biloxi (1976) (p. 107). Listed on the National Register on 11 January 1979. On 19 April 2002 it was moved to Meaut Street to what was to become the site of the Ohr-O’Keefe Museum of Art, near the Toledano House on Beach Boulevard. It underwent restoration in 2002-03, and was officially opened as part of the museum on 13 May 2003. The house was completely destroyed by Hurricane Katrina on 29 August 2005. [HABS: MS-186 (circa 1980/1984): two pages of measured drawings]