Location Information
(for the William Johnson House)
Name:William Johnson House
Address:210 State Street
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1841
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:2.5
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:16 Jun 1976
NR District Name:Natchez-On-Top-of-the-Hill
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:531
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:04-19-1985
Recorded:04-30-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 14-4, p. 341
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Natchez Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
A two-story, three-bay brick townhouse, owned by William Johnson, a free black barber and diarist during the antebellum period. His diaries, written between 1835 and 1851 are highly significant documents which chonicle his professional and financial activities in antebellum Natchez--they were later published as The Barber of Natchez. Included in Natchez Walking Guide (#51). This building was awarded HPF grants of $17,500 in 1977 and $15,000 in 1978. Now owned by the National Park Service as part of the Natchez National Historical Park. [HABS: MS-270 (1972) (along with McCallum House next door)]