Location Information
(for the "The Manse")
Name:"The Manse" [Presbyterian Manse]
Address:307 Rankin Street, South
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1824-25
Architectural Styles(s):Federal
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:07 Mar 1979
NR District Name:Natchez-On-Top-of-the-Hill
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:509
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:09-09-2004
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Natchez Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
According to Mimi Miller, the Manse was built 1824-25 for Howell Moss and acquired from parishioners Benjamin and Zelia Wade for $16,000 by the Presbyterian Church in 1838. The Presbyterian Manse is one of the most significant Federal-style houses in Mississippi and exhibits the quality of architectural finish that is usually indicative of a full-scale mansion. “The only documented one-story Federal Style brick dwelling in the state with its original single-bay portico, the Manse features one of the richest and most handsomely detailed frontispieces in a town noted for its elegant doorways.” (from National Register statement of significance prepared by Mary McCahon Shoemaker in October 1978). Included in The Great Houses of Natchez (p. 91), Natchez Walking Guide (#72), and Historic Architecture in Mississippi (p. 27). [HABS: MS-150 (1934/1936)]