Location Information
(for the First Presbyterian Church II)
Name:First Presbyterian Church (II)
Address:117 Pearl Street, South
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:c.1829
Architectural Styles(s):Federal, Greek Revival
No. of Stories:1
Remodeling Date:1851
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:22 Dec 1978
NR District Name:Natchez-On-Top-of-the-Hill
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:403
View National Register Nomination Form
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Natchez Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
The most outstanding example of a Federal church building in Mississippi. Completed in 1829 and dedicated on New Year's Day, 1830, the building underwent a major sanctuary enlargement in 1851 and an educational-wing addition in 1901; the basic integrity of the structure, however, remains unaffected. Originally, the building was red brick with buff stuccoed pilasters. In 1836, the entire exterior was stuccoed in the Greek Revival mode. Individually listed on the National Register on 22 December 1978. Included in Historic Churches of the South (1952) (pp. 85-87), Look to the Rock (1961), Shrines to Tomorrow (1971), the Natchez Walking Guide (1985) (#46), and Historic Churches of Mississippi (2007).