Location Information
(for the Institute Hall Memorial Hall)
Name:Institute Hall (Memorial Hall) [U.S. Courthouse]
Address:109 Pearl Street, South
City/County:Natchez, Adams County
Architectural Information
Construction Date:1852-53
Architectural Styles(s):Greek Revival
No. of Stories:1
Registration Information
NR Listing Date:20 Jun 1979
NR District Name:Natchez-On-Top-of-the-Hill
NR Status:Contributing
Element No.:400
View National Register Nomination Form
Mississippi Landmark Information
Designated:05-09-1985
Recorded:07-01-1985
Book/Vol. No.:V. 16-V, p. 67
Local Designation Information
Local District Name:Natchez Historic District
click here for additional information on this district.
Context/Comments
Built 1852-53 as auditorium for Natchez Institute, the first free school in Natchez; was used as Opera House in 1880s; later used for school again; remodeled in 1921 for use as a city auditorium, called Memorial Hall, and so used until City Auditorium was built in 1940. In 1938 this building was serving as a National Guard armory. The circumstances have not yet been determined or documented, but it appears that part this building became an armory about 1938, for Company B, 155th Infantry, when the building was renovated by the WPA. A rare surviving example of a Greek Revival auditorium building. Included in Natchez Walking Guide (#44). Received an HPF grant of $9,000 in 1990.